Friday, February 10, 2012

Settling in...

Friday, Jan 20,   Well, we have now been home for one week and things seem to be settling down a bit.   Quite often I use this Blob to thank people who have gone out of their way to help us, but this time I am going to talk only about Gary. I will still have thank you's to more angels at another date.   Gary is an amazing person. He has been so strong throughout this entire process. He continues to do as much as possible for himself while trying not to ask for help unless it is absolutely necessary. I am constantly impressed by his determination. Sometimes it will take him over an hour to get dressed, but he will not "bother" me and he will keep working at it until he gets it done. His pain level seems to be a little worse lately, but he doesn't complain and if I show him any sympathy he just shrugs his shoulders and says "That's the way it goes." He can now get in and out of the shower by himself and that is wonderful. He has always been such a clean person and 2 showers /week in the hospitals just wasn't working for him. Sometimes it takes almost 2 hours...but he is squeaky-clean!!!   Gary has his own room downstairs now and he spent lots of time organizing his clothes (on the shelves I hung in the closet!!! DYI Judi) so that he can be self-sufficient. Also he has alot of medical supplies so we have reorganized the bathroom across the hall from his bedroom.  All of his supplies are within his reach, so he can go solo. I actually liketo help him, but it makes him feel better to be independent. At times it is hard NOT to help, so I have to remind myself to stay out of his way and let him try things.   At Shepherd Center they told us that life would be "lower and slower". From our experience that is so true. "Slower" of course means everything does take longer- an adjustment for both of us. "Lower" means that alot of our house no longer is accessible to Gary. Much is out of reach, so we are making changes so he can reach things, WOW!!!! Who knew?   It is difficult for me to explain how much admiration I have for Gary's attitude. He continues to try and make the best of things. He is very patient when things aren't going his way. Believe me some of the things I have seen him struggle with have brought tears to my eyes as I watch....like taking almost 30 minutes to get his shoes on. He doesn't scream (or even swear) and throw the shoes like I would have, he just keeps working at it. Remembering how independent he always was I guess I shouldn't be surprised . However watching him struggle is hard. I have told many people that sometimes I think he is handling all this better than I am!!   I hope you all are well and that we will begin to see our friends soon,   Judi and Gary 

No comments:

Post a Comment